



Associated Students of the University of Washington

Senate Steering Minutes | Senate Session XXXII

18 May 2026

HUB 307

4:00 pm

ATTENDANCE

Erick Jacobsen (he/him), Speaker | P

Joseph Riggio (he/him), Vice Speaker | P

Julia Tanner (she/her), Public Relations Officer | P

Blair Yeh (she/her) On-Campus Committee Chair | P

Abigail Appleyard (she/her), Off-Campus Committee Chair | P

Pierce Wallbaum (he/him), General Affairs Committee Chair | P

Dylan Bianchi (he/him), Academic & Administrative Affairs Committee Chair | P

N/A, GPSS Director of University Affairs | E

Nandana Jaideep (she/her), ASUW President | A

Detlef Gerbing (he/him), Select Committee on ASUW Restructuring Chair | P

N/A, Director of Internal Policy | E

Kate Lawson (she/her), Director of University Affairs | A

Jothsna Sundar (she/her), Senate Clerk | P

Brendan Chang (he/him), SAO Advisor | P

APPROVAL OF THE STEERING AGENDA

Erick Jacobsen: Moving on to the approval of the agenda

Dylan Bianchi moves to approve the agenda

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 4-0-1

LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

Erick Jacobsen reads the following statement: The ASUW Student Senate acknowledges the Indigenous peoples of this land, and the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands within the Suquamish, Tulalip, and Muckleshoot nations, and the Duwamish peoples, whose land our university currently occupies. It is our role and responsibility as guests to understand how our impact entangles the caretakers.

SPEAKER'S REPORT

Erick Jacobsen: You will notice that the gluten-free dining hall bill has been removed from the agenda. That was withdrawn by the sponsor. I will also say. I am hoping to present in my leadership report tomorrow a survey for the end of the year for senators, and that will include advice for next year's leadership as well. And finally, please meet with me, reach out to schedule a meeting if you can over the next few weeks before the year ends for your last quarterly check in with me. You won't have to see me ever again except for in Senate and here. So please, please reach out. If you don't, I will end up reaching out eventually, but I would prefer it if you did it. That's easier for me. Yeah, so that's my speakers report. Moving on to the Vice Speaker's report.

VICE SPEAKER'S REPORT

Joseph Riggio: This is going to be short. I sent out senate attendance notices out today. So remind your committee members to check their email for the attendance notices. If they have any proof of attendance, you can also confirm that they were there, committee chairs can confirm that they were there. Also, if they submitted a vote and for whatever reason, couldn't do the attendance vote, just have them let me know and I can look at those records. Liaison reports, going to be a little bit different, like I said, last Senate meeting. Basically, when the committee is done, when they conclude for the year, then they'll submit their final report. If the committee is going to end before the quarterly report is made, then I probably will reach out to them, have them submitted earlier, but this is just so that way I can work on the quarterly report sooner because I do have to work on the GAVEL annual report as well, which is also in the works. And that's all I have.

PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER'S REPORT

Julia Tanner: Hello everyone. I don't have much to report but first congrats to Pierce for getting PRO. And of course, Collin as well. I was just being position specific. Steering Bonding was super fun on Sunday. Thank you for everyone who was able to be here, even though most, no, I guess, yeah, people are here. And it sucks for the people that weren't there. And then I've just been working on my transition document, so. That's it for me. Everyone have a great week.

ADVISOR'S REPORT

Brendan Chang: Hello everyone. Congratulations to Pierce and Collin for your elections last week. Yay! Sorry, I was not here. I am also not there and still recovering, doing the best I can. But your word today is, I decided to be a little fun word, kiki, which is a term used for an informal gathering among close friends, especially to share lively gossip or frank conversation. So, I hope you all can have a kiki soon.

Erick Jacobsen: Incredible. Thank you so much, Brendan. Sounds like everyone had a lovely kiki yesterday.

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES

Erick Jacobsen: We will move on to the approval of the minutes. Everyone seems to congregate on the right side of the room. So, if Julia and the redheads read the floor minutes, Abigail, Joseph, and I read the steering minutes, and then we will come back in 10 minutes at 4.15.

Recess 4:05 pm

Reconvened 4:15 pm

Pierce Walbaum moves to approve the minutes

Dylan Bianchi seconds

Approved 5-0-1

PROPOSALS

Erick Jacobsen: Moving on to proposals, our first one is R-32-19 a Resolution in Support of Visibility Strips. . Because we only have three pieces of legislation now, I think

Deleted:

it's fair to just read through it even if the sponsor is not present. If you guys do want to make motions to rearrange it, to prioritize the ones where the sponsor is present, that is also possible. But I will move on now to R-32-19 in the absence of motions. This is sponsored by the SDC Director, Emma Martin, and I will just read it out.

Erick Jacobsen reads [R-32-19 A Resolution in Support of Visibility Strips](#)

Abigail Appleyard: I don't really know if you're going to be able to answer this but I was just thinking like, I'm not sure using that number for the number of students enrolled in DRS is really appropriate just because that doesn't, I don't think it does a good job at representing how many students would benefit from this because just because you're enrolled in DRS doesn't mean that you have like a physical disability that is affecting your ability to get around campus. Like if you have PKU, which is like a protein processing issue, like you'll be with DRS. So, I'm just wondering if there's a better number to like more accurately represent how many people would benefit from the program. But obviously if the sponsor's not here, it's kind of difficult to find that out.

Formatted: Not Highlight

Erick Jacobsen: I will leave a comment and if we feel like we need to make some changes, especially since I don't see in-text citations, we can leave comments and then I will get back to the sponsor. So I'll go to Pierce.

Pierce Wallbaum: I want to second that because also it's like even if you just have like any form of anxiety disorder or any like mental disorders, you also go to DRS, which has nothing to do with like physical limitations that the campus can impose on you. So I agree with that.

Joseph Riggio: I'll say I agree with the concern about the statistical stuff, but I think that's kind of defeating what this bill is trying to get at. It's just, so it's addressing the accessibility, campus accessibility for blind and visually impaired students. But also I can see this as a benefit just for students generally, especially when it's dark outside. If we're considering putting these strips both in indoor and outdoor locations, I think that might need a little bit more work.

Erick Jacobsen: So I left a comment from steering. Is there a better number to represent how many people are affected by this issue? DRS doesn't necessarily capture this. Also potentially separate whereas clause about how these strips can benefit non-disabled students. I will go to Dylan, Abigail, and then Pierce.

Dylan Bianchi: I got a question for you and then a comment. Have you met with the sponsors on the bill about this bill?

Erick Jacobsen: Yes.

Dylan Bianchi: Okay. I do think it's going to be important for this person to be in like Senate. I don't know what their restrictions are, like in terms of hours or whatever as a JCC director, but the reality of this bill is that there's a fair amount of good research in here, but there's also some issues and. Look, I think you'd have to be a jerk to not be in favor of visibility strips for disabled students. And also, the same drum I've been banging all this year, did they talk to admin? Do we have a financial assessment? Like, do we have an estimate of facilities of how many visibility strips we would need? Do they have a sense of where they do and do not want visibility strips? Do we have a sense for how much that would cost? I'm just, you know, and I am going to vote to pass this through when this time comes, but once it comes to Senate, I feel like we should, you know, raise concerns about a lack of a financial estimate here, really a lack of any kind of scale estimate, and so it's going to be important for the sponsor to be present in Senate in the way they weren't present in steering, so they can clarify kind of the process they went through here in developing this bill.

Abigail Appleyard: Yeah I mean just getting back to Joseph's comment, obviously, I totally agree that this is a great idea. And like Dylan said, you kind of have to be a bad person not to support it. But I just think when we're thinking about ways that admin might choose to ignore a bill, something that might be really easy is to say, oh, well, they're really overestimating how many people would benefit from it. So I think it's more important to have a truly reflective number and have that number be powerful enough. Because even if you told me 400 students would benefit from this, whether it's because they're visually impaired or just because they have trouble seeing, I guess that's also visually impaired, but having trouble seeing at night, like that is still powerful enough, but overestimating it by so much kind of weakens the point. But obviously I don't think that's something that steering needs to fix right now. It's just definitely something to consider for the sponsor and before we pass it in Senate.

Erick Jacobsen: These comments can be sent to the sponsor either if we table this or if we send it to committee and then it can be dealt with in committee. Or before the next steering meeting.

Pierce Wallbaum: Actually, Dylan said basically everything. I guess just to add my own thoughts into this. Also, just I think I'd like to see a little more, yeah, research about sort of what the implementation of this would look like. Even just saying what visibility strips are, like, that's not even clarified in the bill. It just assumes everybody knows what that is. So I'd like to see that added. Also, I just feel like it's a little weird not to include the references in the text. So, I don't know if that's like a format thing or just like a me thing but that's also something I kind of am picking up. Yeah.

Deleted:

Erick Jacobsen: I believe I advised them to include it in the whereas clauses may have just been a thing where they forgot. So that'll definitely be a thing I can tell them. And we do consider that grammatical enough, I'd say, especially if the citations are already on there, or the sources are already on there, so I'll be communicating with them.

Avery Kirscht: Building off of what Dylan and Pierce are saying, I think the type of visibility strip would be, like, is it glow in the dark or reflective kind of thing? But then also, I know there's been a lot of conversations in Senate this year about adding lighting on different parts of campus. Would this have to go hand in hand with that? Would it, would the effectiveness of these visibility strips depend on our getting lighting on these areas in campus? Like, how does that conversation tie into this?

Joseph Riggio: I wouldn't say its necessarily, that can be a separate thing and they are. Visibility strips, I mean evidently, it seems like the prime sponsor in this bill is targeting just blind or visually impaired students. When keeping this bill in mind, my comment was mainly just there is a broad benefit to having these visibility strips, because especially if it's dark out or in a room that is poorly lit, there are definitely areas on this campus that I myself or I have witnessed people trip on stairs that suddenly emerge or figure out of nowhere. So, I think it'd be beneficial, but I know that a lot of, or at least the campus lighting efforts that I'm aware of primarily from RCSA, has been a separate issue that they've been working on for years. So they kind of exist as two different things. Could they work together? Yes, but I think it's okay to pass two separate things.

Abigail Appleyard moves to approve this into On-Campus Affairs

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 5-0-1

Erick Jacobsen: We will move on now to R-32-23 a Resolution in Support of Adding Caste as a Protected Category to the University of Washington Non-Discrimination and Affirmative Action Policy or Executive Order 31.

Erick Jacobsen yields chair to **Joseph Riggio**

Joseph Riggio: Let's recess for three minutes so Erick can reflect those changes so that way we can read the bill in full.

Recess 4:32 pm

Reconvened 4:35 pm

Recess 4:35 pm

Reconvened 4:37 pm

Sumaiya Zunairah reads [R-32-23 A Resolution in Support of Adding Caste as a Protected Category to the University of Washington Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy \(Executive Order 31\)](#)

Joseph Riggio: All right, thank you so much. Would you like to very quickly, or any other co-sponsors or sponsors provide context for this legislation?

Sumaiya Zunairah: They thought it was important to mention that we worked with the South Asia Center and faculty and found out that they have brought this up in the past, but UW admin wanted to see like student support on this bill, and also that other colleges have done this, but that's already in the bill.

Joseph Riggio: I'm gonna have to yield chairship back to Erick for our floor agenda.

Joseph Riggio Yields chair to **Erick Jacobsen**

APPROVAL OF SENATE FLOOR AGENDA

Erick Jacobsen: Alright it is 4:50 so we are moving on to the floor agenda. We currently have four bills in General Affairs, two in Off-Campus and AAA, and three in On-Campus Affairs. I think it'd be fair to give one of the General Affairs bills to Off-Campus or AAA. maybe the, I mean, I guess it doesn't matter which one, but does anyone have any thoughts on what that should be?

Pierce Wallbaum: I think R-32-18 which is about advising an A&O, could be to AAA. Because it's also, it's an academic matter.

Abigail Appleyard: I was going to say maybe don't move something into Off Campus just because that Washington Student Association bill, like we're still very much discussing it. And so I worry that we wouldn't get to it if it was at the back of our list.

Erick Jacobsen: Alrighty and then R-2-19 is in On-Campus Affairs. Now all those have all committees have 3 bills. We put SB-32-3, which was recommitted back into committee. This time we put it in the restructuring committee. We thought that was probably a better place for it to be when it comes to the level of changes which the BOD would like to see in this bill. And I will be announcing that in my leadership report, that

recommittal and the comments that they left. There's also a bunch of comments on the bill itself. Detlef, if you'd like to prepare for that by reading those comments, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about what any of the Board members said or anything that happened in Board. But otherwise, we added that in front of the constitutional amendment because it was approved by Senate already, and so it's a priority. But any committee can move around what legislation they do in what order. And if we, as steering, feel like any of these committees should prioritize any piece of legislation, we can do that. I have old business starting at 6:50. That way we get about 40 minutes for old business. We do have five pieces there, maybe more once we get through committees. I predict that we'll have about 40 minutes in committee as well, based on sort of what we're seeing with this. We limited the presidential forum to 20 minutes, including the transfer student experience. We tend to get to forms around 5:15 anyway. And then elections should be much quicker because we are not doing multiple questions and we are not doing an endorsement period. So, I feel like we should be good for that, for the AAA and General Affairs questions, which should go above General Affairs, that we will develop those in discussion items, and then put them in here. Same for if we approve any new bills, we can add them into the agenda before tomorrow as well, as a reasonable edit. Are there any questions on the agenda or would anyone like to see anything moved around?

Pierce Wallbaum: So you just said we'll add the questions once we get to them in discussion?

Erick Jacobsen: Yes.

Pierce Wallbaum: Ok then no.

Erick Jacobsen: Yes. Okay if that is the case and there are no other comments or questions, then we can accept motions.

Pierce Wallbaum moves to approve the agenda.

Dylan Bianchi seconds

Approved 4-0-1

Erick Jacobsen: We will go right back into proposals, and here you go.

PROPOSALS II

Erick Jacobsen yields chair to **Joseph Riggio**

Joseph Riggio: For the record, that was Erick yielding chairship. Okay, so now that we're in the swing of it, I'll open up for questions, comments, and motions.

Erick Jacobsen: I will say the reason I'm a co-sponsor on this is because this is a tri-campus effort, and I've connected the sponsors and the organization South Asians Resisting Imperialism with the Tacoma and Bothell organization. So I'm a co-sponsor to represent that sort of like tri-campus initiative thing. I don't usually co-sponsor resolutions that I've advised upon, but I saw this as an exception because of that.

Sumaiya Zunairah: As it currently stands we've emailed it to everyone I believe but I haven't got any updates at all on what has happened with it. So, that's that.

Jothsna Sundar: I just want to say that anyone has questions about pronouncing anything, you can ask me. Just want to put that on there.

Abigail Appleyard: I guess I was just kind of wondering if there were instances of someone experiencing discrimination like this, trying to get it covered under, you know, one of the other protected classes and if they had failed. I guess I am totally in support of this, but I'm just wondering if there's anything on the record of people facing discrimination in this way and not being able to reconcile it.

Sumaiya Zunairah: I don't know entirely what they did about it, but it does mention in the bill someone coming to a UW professor saying that they faced discrimination, but I don't know the entirety of like what they did after and if it went well or not.

Joseph Riggio: And just for the record, I believe that's what lines 118-126, both the professor's testimony and then another UW professor having received, so, were there any students that you know of? No, don't name them, but like, were there stories of students or student testimony?

Sumaiya Zunairah: As a person of South Asian descent, I would say yes, this is a very big deal, but I can't think of like a specific instance.

Dylan Bianchi: I will say I remember, I just pulled up some articles here from Reuters and NBC. In 2022, there was kind of a big hubbub around caste discrimination in the California tech sector. So I don't know if we can find UW specific instances, but I think it's great that this bill points out specifically the relationship UW has with obviously Seattle's very vibrant tech sector and the relationship that tech sector has with the South

Asian community is a good kind of like vector for this stuff. I'm sure if we look more to that, there would be something there.

Joseph Riggio: Any other questions or comments?

Avery Kirscht: Really just out of curiosity, it says here that it's not recognized for, yeah, it's not recognized in federal law, but it has, have these same sensitivities been recognized in state law, do you know?

Sumaiya Zunairah: I don't think so but it is under the Seattle Municipal Code, but I don't think it's like a statewide thing.

Dylan Bianchi: I think this is grammatical, it refers to the caste system in the context of Spanish colonialism in the Americas. I believe that should be the Casta system with an a, which was the system used to essentially like rank different racial communities within Spanish colonies. So can we change that?

Sumaiya Zunairah: I found on Wikipedia that caste is not officially recognized by law in the US, except for Seattle, so we were the first ones to do that.

Pierce Wallbaum: I think it's a very well-written bill, and I'll move to approve into AAA

Pierce Wallbaum moves to approve into AAA

Julia Tanner seconds

Approved 5-0-1

Joseph Riggio yields chair to **Erick Jacobsen**

Erick Jacobsen: Moving on to R-32-25 which is a resolution calling for gender neutral restrooms in the engineering library. Again, we do not have a sponsor. So I will read this one. Or wait, are there any co-sponsors here? There's a lot of co-sponsors. OK, alright, so I will read this bill.

Erick Jacobsen reads [R-32-25 A Resolution Calling for Gender Neutral Restrooms in the Engineering Library](#)

Erick Jacobsen: Again the sponsor's not here. I'll do my best to answer questions. Are there any?

Dylan Bianchi: Comment and then a motion. I think this is a cool bill.

Dylan Bianchi moves to approve into On-Campus Affairs

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 4-0-2

DISCUSSION

Erick Jacobsen: We're moving into discussion. If anyone here is at least thinking about running for General Affairs Committee Chair, if you would please exit the room or the Teams call so that we can move on to our question. The General Affairs Committee often handles legislation that can create tension both within and outside of Senate. Given limited committee time, how will you balance diverse student opinions while ensuring that discussions remain fair, productive, and grounded in student representation?

Julia Tanner: Chef's kiss.

Dylan Bianchi: I was just going to ask, this is like a bad question to ask, while Pierce is not here. I know that they had a bill or two like that this year. Is that generally the case? Did they have like the condemnation bill last year?

Erick Jacobsen: They had the JCC bill. I guess General Affairs when we don't have restructuring tends to be like the receptacle for internal bills, because there's no committee directly for that, because of how rare they are. So are we happy with this question? Do we want to change it at all or are we good? Thumbs up. Okay, great. We'll move on to AAA.

Dylan Bianchi: I am about to send it because I forgot to draft it until shortly before this meeting. What experience do you have interacting with UW administrative or academic failures and how can you apply that experience for the AAA? It is a little rough.

Erick Jacobsen: Maybe we change it from figures to like officials and departments.

Abigail Appleyard: Just kind of in line with some of the other edits we've made I would say like, I don't know what a good way to phrase it is, but administrative groups, maybe that aren't just limited to UW, because I would feel bad if there was a freshman who was interested and, you know, didn't feel like they were qualified because they hadn't had that experience, but maybe they did something in high school. So I just think it's better to keep the sentiment of the question, but maybe reword it in a way that like allows for

high school experiences to apply just so that a wider group of people feel confident running.

Erick Jacobsen: So what experience do you have interacting with administrative or academic departments or officials in or out of UW, and how can you apply that experience to leading AAA?

Dylan Bianchi: To Abigail's point maybe we could change it to what experience do you have navigating administratively complex organizations like UW, and how can you apply that experience to leading AAA?

Erick Jacobsen: What experience do you have navigating administrative complexities, such as in UW and how can you apply that, or how will you apply that experience leading AAA?

ANNOUNCEMENTS AND PUBLIC COMMENT

Erick Jacobsen: We will now move on to announcements and public comment. If there are any announcements or if any member of the public would like to speak, now is your opportunity.

Julia Tanner: Field Day is this Friday actually the 22nd, and it's from 10 a.m. until after six. Six is when the Husky Jam music starts. So it'll be super fun, and you should all attend.

Erick Jacobsen: Do you happen to have any promotional flyers for that we can put on the leadership report? Any other announcements or public comments?

ADJOURNMENT

Dylan Bianchi moves to adjourn

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 4-1-0

Adjourned 5:11 pm

Minutes Prepared by Jothsna Sundar

Clerk for the ASUW Student Senate

