



Associated Students of the University of Washington

Senate Steering Minutes | Senate Session XXXII

11/3/2025

HUB 307

4:01 PM

ATTENDANCE

Erick Jacobsen (he/him), Speaker | P

Joseph Riggio (he/him), Vice Speaker | P

Julia Tanner (she/her), Public Relations Officer | P

Tanya Bhandari (she/her), On-Campus Committee Chair | A

Abigail Appleyard (she/her), Off-Campus Committee Chair | P

Pierce Wallbaum (he/him), General Affairs Committee Chair | P

Dylan Bianchi (he/him), Academic & Administrative Affairs Committee Chair | P

Maitri Karia (she/her), GPSS Director of University Affairs | P

Nandana Jaideep (she/her), ASUW President | A

Ashwin Anand (he/him), Director of Internal Policy | A

Kate Lawson (she/her), Director of University Affairs | A

Jothsna Sundar (she/her), Senate Clerk | P

Renee Chang (he/him), SAO Advisor | A

APPROVAL OF THE STEERING AGENDA

Dylan Bianchi moves to approve agenda

Abigail Appleyard seconds

Approved 4-0-1

LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

Erick Jacobsen reads the following statement: The ASUW Student Senate acknowledges the Indigenous peoples of this land, and the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands within the Suquamish, Tulalip, and Muckleshoot nations, and the Duwamish peoples, whose land our university currently occupies. It is our role and responsibility as guests to understand how our impact entangles the caretakers.

SPEAKER'S REPORT

Erick Jacobsen: I don't have much to report. I submitted. We have a monthly report that each member of the board of directors does is sent out to via email to all staff, our accomplishments for October we passed two resolutions. I enacted a Senate bill. We elected or appointed 13 student representatives across six ASUW committees and four non-ASUW committees. We held a forum for the development of the student Health fee, registered 126 senators from across the student body, launched an initiative to incentivize greater representation of students among the Senate, convened the GAVEL Committee and assigned passed resolutions for follow-up implementation, met with students to help them draft legislation with 10 plus resolutions being planned or submitted, currently only two have been submitted, but up to ten are being planned. And now the legislative workshop. Our goals for November are passing the legislative agenda tomorrow, hosting President Jones on the 18th. Hopefully, we'll finish passing all the resolutions from last year, which is carried over, and maybe hopefully, five resolutions total, at least. We want to hire interns for GAVEL and public relations, implement at least one resolution through GAVEL. Increased representation for signature seats from 341 last year to 500, fill all the protected seats, elect or appoint the remaining seven liaisons, and begin formal tri-campus collaboration on system wide advocacy. So those, that's what I submitted to the monthly report, and I'm not sure if you all are on the email list, but Jothna, Julia, and Joseph definitely are. It should be going on to all staff. So that's my report. This is where we are at this point at the beginning of November. Moving on to the vice Speaker's report, Joseph.

VICE SPEAKER'S REPORT

Joseph Riggio: Please tell your committee members while I appreciate getting follow-up emails about missing attendance and whatnot, please tell them to avoid sending pictures of the screen or of somebody else. Somebody earlier today sent me a picture of the QR code on the screen and then sent me the iPhone tracker, like the location of that image with the. I can only, for public records, I can only take the election if they voted in election and have a receipt from that via Microsoft forms. I can only take Husky link when we do votes for elections. If they can prove that they voted, I can check the ballots and see if their name is there. And also, if they were on teams, if they left a message, that's also written on record. And if they said anything, that's recorded in the minutes. So if they made a motion, if they commented, and this is for committees too. So committee chairs, you can also vouch for members too, if a member was there. or they're claiming to be there and they say, my committee chair can say that I was there. I will reach out to you to confirm that. That is an additional way that Senators can do that. But moving forward, I'm going to kindly request that no more pictures are sent to my email inbox for attendance. Lastly, for me, I've just been working on some back-end stuff to get GAVEL up and running including leadership curriculums and redoing our Eric sent me our UW administration contact list that were revising. So hopefully we can get more resources for senators to create legislation and also GAVEL the follow-up. But that's all I have this week.

PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER'S REPORT

Julia Tanner: So I don't have much this week. We're going to talk about steering bonding and discussion, but that's basically it. I'm going to have a post come up this week for the presidential forum that we're having and hopefully hiring interns within the next few weeks. But yeah, nothing else.

ADVISOR'S REPORT

Renee Infelise: Hello, everyone. Thank you for having me. I'm here on behalf of Brendan, who could not be here today. Nothing much to report on my end, except for the word of the day, which I know you all are waiting to hear. So today's word of the day is the proletariat. known as the laboring class or the class of industrial workers, who lack their own means of production and hence sell their labor to live, I'll use it in a sentence. The Bolsheviks believed that Russia's discontented proletariat made that nation ripe for revolution. And that is today's word of the day. Thank you for having me.

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES

Recess 4:08

Back in order 4:13

Recess 4:13

Back in order 4:15

Erick Jacobsen: Are we done looking at the minutes? I see an emphatic thumbs up with snaps from Dylan Bianchi. So do I hear any motions?

Pierce Wallbaum moves to approve minutes

Julia Tanner seconds

Approved 4-0-1

PROPOSALS

Erick Jacobsen: We have a legislative directive, our first legislative directive. [LD-32-1 A Legislative Directive to Adopt the ASUW Legislative Agenda](#)

Pierce Wallbaum: point of information, I don't have access.

Erick Jacobsen: Joseph was on this committee, so he is a co- sponsor. I'll let him read through it.

Joseph Riggio: Thank you, Eric. for the kind judge gesture. Yeah. So we are waiting on a bill summary from Brandon, who's the prime sponsor. He is the Director of Legislative Affairs and he would provide a better bill summary than anybody that is on the committee, so we're waiting on that. But I will start with. I'll preface this by saying, this is going to look a little bit different than legislation prior in the way that we're structuring it. So this is really the first time in recent history, I'm not sure if it's been done before, but we're trying to adopt the legislative agenda using our

template for resolutions, which means we have to have a little bit of innovation as to how we do that, because if you go to the appendices. That's the draft that we're working on transcribing the document to or a format that fits our template. So we had to break it up by sections, and you'll notice that there are multiple whereas, therefore, in that clause sections, that is okay, that is purposeful. We're going to go section by section in the on the actual floor as well. So I'll just start reading.

Joseph Riggio reads [LD-32-1 A Legislative Directive to Adopt the ASUW Legislative Agenda](#)

Joseph Riggio: As I forgot to mention earlier, the legislative agenda, this essentially is going to be our lobbying agenda used at the state legislature. This defines exactly what we can or cannot lobby for while we are an Olympia. So. Wow. I feel vindicated from... That is all. We're still working on sources. Brandon is hopefully going to get us those in a little bit. However, if you go to the appendix and see the draft, that includes all the sources with each section. So if you're curious about where we got this information from, it is there. It's just not linked formally in the bill yet.

Erick Jacobsen: So that was 20 minutes of speaking. Which it'll probably be longer on the floor. just because I think we went a little fast today, which I think is good because we have less time to go through it. But on the floor I wanted, I think I want us to go through it more slowly so that it can really sort of like sink in with people and they can catch everything and think about what amendments they want to make. We are extending via German time to 730. That's going to be something we'll discuss later on. When we approve the floor agenda. But like Joseph said, the legislative directive, the type of legislation in Senate is just saying what OGR can lobby on? And so this is legislative agenda is obviously the most comprehensive and the first of such, but any student can submit a legislative directive, so and any student can also. amend this on the floor. So if any of you have any ideas of things, you can amend it on the floor and please encourage your committee to do the same, Last year, we really encouraged people to leave it vaguer and go through quicker, and that's not a good idea because we can always do further legislative directors directives if there's more to add, but we can't go back and make it clearer. So it needs to be clear. And you can make amendments now or through a legislative directive and I really want us to give this the full attention that it deserves. It's obviously a very big document with a lot of things involved, but it's very important to priorities. The legislative steering committee met two weeks in a row on this?, two. And we'll only get one day for it. Because we don't have Senate on Veterans Day and they need an approved before the legislative reception on the 19th. With that in mind, are there any questions?

Julia Tanner: if someone were to draft another section for this, what would your recommendations be for the research they provide or the sources or how they would introduce it?

Erick Jacobsen: So I would say as long as it looks similar to any of the other subsections in terms of style and level of research, and you can see in the draft document the plaintext, what level of research they have. But I think in previous years, it was discouraged to amend because there wouldn't be as much research, but looking at the agenda, there's enough research that if people have a few sources to prove that there's something going on and something to do. I think that'd be fine.

Joseph Riggio: Yeah, I was gonna say, my recommendation would be. So, the legislative agenda draws on a few different sources, not only do we use like recent events news and some news articles are linked on there, but also we take directly while personally, while I was attending legislative Steering Committee, I had the GAVEL tracker up so I could see all the resolutions that we passed because this is supposed to be reflective of ASUW student opinion as well, and drafting on previous legislation that was passed, either by Senate with board's approval or a board bill. Doesn't matter.

It's going to be student an opinion our resolutions are unique in that we are the sole voice for that student opinion, or at least a resolutions are. And so I would whatever section you want to propose, if there is something that's clearly missing from this document, that's what I would look to first. I would look to the legislation database and I can link that if it's hard to find. I know it gets mixed up somewhere in the back end. I would look at state law as well. A lot of the different legislation that's mentioned in this are house bills or Senate bills, that either didn't pass or some of them did pass that we lobbied on like the Washington State College grant keep sustaining that at 60%. Brandon is also probably full of resources as well in terms of like federal precedent and state precedent for maybe some relevant cases of like state different pieces of legislation that we can potentially lobby on this year. He's probably a much more familiar with what senators and representatives are planning to present to the floor were introduced to the floor this session. But yeah, I would start there. Long story short, TLDR. Look at the legislative database for ASUW Senate, look at recent news reports from credible news sources and also look at state law and previous house bills and center bills.

Erick Jacobsen: And then I'd say, when it comes to actually making the amendment, whichever one of you is on editing documents, they can send it to you beforehand. So is that Julia or Joseph? Okay, so if you can let your committee members know that if they want to prepare an amendment during or before Senate, they can send it to Joseph over teams at any time, they still have to make the motion on the floor, but that makes it a lot easier to get it reflected up on screen. I'd say that there are good ideas that are not feasible this session for a lot of reasons, so if there are ideas from amendments and OGR says, that's probably not going to be possible because X,YZ, they're not lying. We can still try and they can't say no to an amendment, but I'd definitely keep in mind the feasibility of an amendment when proposing it. state budget's tight, for example, but nothing can stop a senator from exercising their rights. Not even their motion being unfeasible, so we don't want to discourage anything.

Abigail Appleyard: For the purpose of like explaining how this whole thing works to senators, do you think it makes sense for, like, it would work to tell people like, oh, if there's something on here that you think is missing, you should prepare your own kind of thing. But if there's something that you want to change, that's on the current document just because I feel like there might be people, I'm sure there will be, and obviously I think that's fine, but like, who are like, think that things are missing, but I don't know if it's best to, because if you need all those sources and things to back it up, I feel like it makes more sense just to have people submit something else than like try to put something very detailed together, like, how?

Erick Jacobsen: That's also possible. I do want to encourage more legislative directives this year. Joseph, do you want to add to that?

Joseph Riggio: While yes, I like practicing what I preach, but sometimes at the same time, this is a very fast turnaround for a legislative agenda. If you can... if the person trying to propose an amendment can't get resources or like sources and whatnot, that's okay. The main point of this document is to outline what we can and can't do in Olympia. It gives. OGR has to abide by this document, the legislative agenda. And so it's very important that if there are things that are missing that we put that in there regardless of the sources help OGR kind of provide a more thorough and base explanation for why they're lobbying. But at the end of the day, if it's in the legislative agenda, they'll have to lobby for it. So I would prioritize that and you can I would encourage that senator to then work with OGR and researching that topic and providing that information over time. It's just for the purposes of this, we just need the language

Erick Jacobsen: Any other questions or comments? No, this was approved by legislative steering, but we will still also have to approve it. Probably given our own procedures. Does anyone have any comments on the formatting? Previously, it was it would be something like, whereas the legislative agenda is important for XYZ reasons, therefore be it resolved that this is the legislative agenda and then just the text. So we wanted it to be a lot more structured and according to the Senate and separating the reasons from the actions as well. But typically, it is voted on subsection by subsection, so that's why they're sort of like self-contained little legislative directives in there. But yeah, just to some context. Questions, comments, or motions.

Dylan Bianchi moves to approve legislative directive

Pierce Wallbaum Seconds

Approved 4-0-1

APPROVAL OF SENATE FLOOR AGENDA

Erick Jacobsen: the legislative agenda is approved to our floor.. It will take a lot longer on the floor to get through it, which is why we're going to dedicate as much of the meaning to it as possible. We usually get two or three weeks to work on it, so this is very irregular, but I don't think we realize anyone realized that Senate fell on Veterans Day until it was too late. So moving on to the approval of the floor agenda, can you all access that? Just fine. Okay, great. I do currently have 15 meds allocated for elections.

Dylan Bianchi: Yeah, to that. Do we have any elections that, like, need to happen where it would be bad for us to put Leg steering ahead of that, or sorry, Leg Agenda ahead of that?

Erick Jacobsen: So. Sort of. So the HUB Board of Representatives, they meet once a quarter and their meeting their first meeting for this quarter is on the 13th of November. So you wouldn't be able to elect a representative before then. and then there wouldn't be another meeting until February. And then finance and budget, that's also pretty important. I put the time stamp because I didn't want us to spend too much time on it, but all things considered, we'd probably get to the legislative agenda, maybe 5:30 and then that would still give, what, two hours? So I think it'll probably be fine. We can if we want to, and you are all welcome to make this motion either now or on the floor. put a time stamp on the legislative agenda to get to it at a certain time, and then we can do it that way or we can table elections. all up to you.

Dylan Bianchi: Could we maybe just table the safety advisory and JCC elections? Per week? Or for two weeks, I guess?

Erick Jacobsen: Yeah we could.

Dylan Bianchi And then remove the timestamp, just table those two just so that it would ensure we get through the two kind of urgent elections, conclude those, move on to Leg Agenda.

Erick Jacobsen: Are there any thoughts on that?

Abigail Appleyard: I mean if those have to get done anyway then those have to get done, so.

Julia Tanner: I was just going to say that if we do decide to go with that I would make those motions on the floor for transparency reasons.

Erick Jacobsen: I'd say it's probably fine if it's the legislative agenda. We're already seeing an irregular agenda for a lot of reasons. People have never seen special orders of the day before. People have not seen a custom adjournment time before. So if we want to move things around for that, I'd say it's ok to do that in steering and then I can explain that in the leadership report. In the end I might need a whole slide for the legislative agenda because there's a lot of stuff to explain. But we can do either.

Pierce Wallbaum: I just want to say, I think it's okay to, like, just do the two elections and then get rid of the time stamp. I mean, we're in steering to kind of move the agenda around anyways, so if you're comfortable just explaining it, I think it's pretty important to get through the legislative, so

Joseph Riggio: Also a reminder that we can suspend the rules and add a time stamp if we feel that elections are getting to be too long.

Erick Jacobsen: Yeah we do currently have 15 minutes dedicated to it only so. We can change that, we can change it to be a time we get to the legislative agenda, we can do a lot of things. Is the consensus that we table the Student Safety Advisory Board and JCC elections, and then only do the first two with no time stamp? Noncommittal shrug from Dylan. Thumbs up from Dylan, very committal shrug from Dylan. The most committal shrug. We can, we can do motions.

Dylan Bianchi moves to table Student Safety Advisory Board and JCC elections for two weeks

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 3-0-2

Dylan Bianchi moves to remove 15 minute timestamp

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 2-0-2

Erick Jacobsen: So no time stamp. We have two elections and then special order. And then, of course, our leadership reports and announcements. And we have the 7:30 adjournment time. Are there any motions?

Pierce Wallbaum: I have a question, actually. I just wanted to know why we're not doing. I know it was tabled, but R-32-1 and R-32-2. Maybe they should have a summary of new business because the summary is they were just put in committee, so.

Erick Jacobsen: I just forgot that was a thing. My bad.

Pierce Wallbaum: Also just another question on the steering agenda Renee's still absent but maybe that should be fixed.

Erick Jacobsen: And then I'll also say it may be worth it I know it won't matter for tomorrow, but it will for the 18th. And I don't want to have any confusion. If we want to move SB 316 to off campus.

Dylan Bianchi: Okay. So with that, um I think there's like, I's coming out with this because obviously there's two bills of AAA, which is not ideal. But I'm the sponsor of one of those bills. So I

would have to go, and I do not want to throw my poor vice chair Detlef to the wolves. He's literally never processed a bill, like, even as a senator. So, the two solutions I would propose is that we either just swap the order of 31-6 or 32-1 and 31-6 and keep both of them in AAA or we transfer out 31-6 and then a member of leadership agrees to take my place as chair so that Detlef can be shown the ropes with 32 dash one

Erick Jacobsen: Joseph would you be up for chairing AAA?

Joseph Riggio: Yeah.

Erick Jacobsen: I think that might be better every time. Okay. Because by the time we get to committee meetings next, we'll not have that many meetings left in the quarter and having two committees doing nothing and then one committee having two pieces of legislation feels a bit shaky to me.

Dylan Bianchi moves to refer SB 31-6 to the committee on Off Campus Affairs

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 4-0-1

Erick Jacobsen: Any questions, comments, or motions?

Pierce Wallbaum: Now that my bill is gonna be the first one in Dylan's committee that I'll have to go to, my vice chair won't even be there this Tuesday. So I didn't want her to do that anyways, and she won't even be there,

Erick Jacobsen: Julia are you up for chairing a committee?

Julia Tanner: Yeah I can do that. Can someone teams me that?

Jothsna Sundar: We have 3 minutes to approve the agenda.

Dylan Bianchi moves to approve the agenda.

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 5-0-0

DISCUSSION

Erick Jacobsen: Moving on to. No. This is the wrong agenda. I was going to say, moving on to old business. Moving on to discussion, our first item is steering bonding. Do you need a moment? Julia's posting the agenda right now.

Julia Tanner Moves to suspend the rules and move on to the next discussion item.

Abigail Appleyard seconds

Approved 5-0-0

Erick Jacobsen: Moving on to liaison discussion I realized I shouldn't have taken a bite of chocolate before I talked. So two of our liaisons resigned. Their schedules didn't fit. We had the

wrong time for the STF committee, so it didn't fit with Kira's schedule. However, because she did win the election, and it's kind of a \$1,000 per quarter, I almost said \$100,000. That's not true. It's \$1,000 per quarter and it feels unfair that she would be deprived of that position due to our mistake. What we discussed between me, Joseph and Brendan was temporarily appointing the second place winner for this quarter. calculated through IRV, and then when it starts next quarter, the winner would be able to take over again.

Abigail Appleyard: But the second place winner would be paid for this quarter.

Dylan Bianchi: I don't know if, like, we're in a position to project this plan. I'm not a huge fan of that. mostly because, like, I think Kira will be okay. Like, I don't think we deprive her of money like her schedule did, and we just initially misled her that she had an opportunity to get the money I think we should prioritize having the same person in that position, because that's what's actually, I think, productively better for the part of a committee.

Erick Jacobsen: I will add that will likely mean another election. Which is kind of a lot but I do understand where you're coming from.

Joseph Riggio: Building off of the point, that is a week, maybe two weeks, , probably just a week, we'll do a nomination, so the elections, probably at the same time, because people know what it hopefully they don't what it is by now. But, yeah, so like thinking about by the time we decided to put it on the agenda, we're not going to meet on next Tuesday, so we would have an election maybe on the 18th. And then it would be the following week that they would start, really. Because it's Mondays. Yeah, and that's basically the end of the quarter. So we would be talking missing only like two weeks of meetings, which I, for the sake of I don't think it's fair to Kira. Especially since we promoted the meetings at a false time. It wasn't that it was to be determined. We put the wrong time in location on there. Now we didn't know, but it's still wrong in my opinion, it's wrong too. I think your situation is a little bit different than perhaps a different committee position where money set aside. Most of the meeting times are to be determined. This was just something where we got wrong. So they thought they could do it. They thought they could make the commitment, and they could make the false commitment, write, the misinformation commitment. And then when we got the correct information suddenly, you didn't do it anymore. I think that's a little bit different.

Abigail Appleyard: I don't even know we can move on.

Dylan Bianchi: I do grasp what happened here. I just think we should. I think, like, practical function here kind of trumps, like, us misleading Kira and trying to make up for that. And I think I think it's better to have one person who is our liaison and will consistently be our liaison. as opposed to like, I think. Sorry, having one person who has a liaison through the entire year and we're not swapping out people, even though that person will miss, like, two extra meetings, is better to me than putting one person as liaison, who will make those two meetings, but we'll also then leave at the end of the quarter and be replaced by Kira. And is Kira sure that she can make the meeting time next quarter? I mean, we're in the middle of class registration, like, is that all sorted out?

Joseph Riggio: we can confirm with her but when we were talking, she came into the Senate office about a week ago when she was under the impression that the meeting times were on a different day. And when we were talking to her about potentially like winter quarter, it sounded like she was trying to make room in her schedule. So I can confirm that's a good point. We should make sure that her availability is okay for winter and spring. But last I checked, she was factoring that into her schedule.

Erick Jacobsen: Yeah, and we don't have to make a decision today because ultimately if we're appointing, we need a committee order, which would be next Monday anyway, or the Monday after that because, oh, we'll have that discussion too. Or if we're electing, we'd have to wait as well, so we don't have to make a decision now, but I was interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Abigail Appleyard: Are the meetings every week

Erick Jacobsen: Yes.

Abigail Appleyard: What if someone from steering just did it for those, like, couple of weeks?

Erick Jacobsen: We would still have to appoint via committee order under our current laws. It depends if we, well, we won't get to the OA before that, but Joseph's OA will fix that a bit. But then it's also worth noting that that would be us appointing one of our own to receive \$1,000 dollars, which seems not quite ethical.

Pierce Wallbaum: So someone would still get \$1,000, even if they only went to like, less than half of the actual required meetings?

Erick Jacobsen: I'm not sure how the attendance policy factors in meetings that you weren't, like, a member, but it is proportional to the amount of meetings you attend. I don't know if that includes, like, if it's like the meetings that you attend out of the ones that you could attend or if it's Brian you have an answer?

Brian Kim: Yeah, I was going to say, maybe the attendance policy, but from my experience, I've had Tanya be a proxy before. they might offer you the opportunity to get there \$1,000 stipend depends when their first meeting is and how often you go.

Erick Jacobsen: Are there other thoughts? Are we wanting to make a decision now or do we want to?

Abigail Appleyard: Is the idea that if we did appoint someone it would be like the person who would have been second?

Erick Jacobsen: Yeah if it fits their schedule. I think appointing anyone else would be a bit questionable.

Renee Infelise: I think appointing the second person is also questionable. Because it's not stated anywhere in your bylaws that that's something and there's not really precedent for that. So I'd be worried that as your advisor someone might call you on that and say that that's inequitable as well and that might get you all in trouble too.

Julia Tanner: I think if we were to go with reappointing it would have to be a new election because of how high the stakes are for the position.

Erick Jacobsen: So it sounds like we're generally leaning towards elections again. Are there strong objections toward that or any thoughts that haven't been already expressed. Okay, this sort of second part of our relationship discussion is there are unpaid liaison positions. I think it's just one that there's an administrative review board for AI conduct and Senate gets three representatives to that. which is quite a lot, and it's also quite a lot to elect because generally, it's more similar to a faculty council, which is Kate's jurisdiction as Director of University of Affairs, I talked to her and I think it would be best if she got one of those positions and then one of them went to like one of the people that's working under her as like a faculty council representative and then the third position is

elected by Senate. That way we don't have three elections for the same thing. We can also appoint that position but if we were whether or not we were to appoint or elect the third position, we should. We would still have to do a committee order to appoint Kate and her chosen other representative to the other two seats. Are there any thoughts on this

Abigail Appleyard: Are the seats allocated to Senate or ASUW?

Erick Jacobsen: Senate. I'm not sure if that's entirely intentional but yeah Senate. GPSS also has 3 seats. which is why I'm like wondering if it's like meant to the ASUW and their thought was, let's ask the Senate first, but I actually don't even remember who sent it to me.

Maitri Karia: Which one?

Erick Jacobsen: This is an Administrative Review Board for AI conduct. Are there any other thoughts?

Dylan Bianchi: I think two options here. One, could we do an RCV election where the top three vote getters are all in? And that's how we'd choose three people. So it's just one election and it's just the top three people. Alternatively, could we also just as a Senate as like a bylaws workaround, if it's expressly for a Senate? I think Kate is technically a senator, right? So we could just designate Kate for one of the seats, designate another person of Kate's choosing for another of the seats and then elect the third position?

Erick Jacobsen: Yeah, we can do that. I don't think we can do rank choice voting; we're top three get it because that's not really in our bylaws. We could do by acclamation all three, maybe, because that's a bit more, but then we need only three people to do it. So I think that's a bit shaky. When it comes to appointing, as long as we do a committee order to like validate that appointment, because the bylaws are currently vague on how, because it doesn't necessarily say we have to elect all liaison positions. It just has a procedure for electing liaisons. So it's. historically, it's been sort of up to the speaker and then in most cases, it's elected. Sometimes if it's a board of directors' task force, it's appointed from steering. That's how it's worked in the past, but when it comes to appointments, we should make them via committee order in steering. we can do that by my reading it the bylaws

Maitri Karia: Can you repeat the name of the committee for which you said GPSS has 3 representatives?

Erick Jacobsen: The Conduct Review Board for I think it may be college specific. not. Conduct review Board. It's AI related I know that's all the information I have.

Maitri Karia: Till now I don't have it on my list so I don't know if GPSS is involved in that committee.

Erick Jacobsen: Ryan got the email this was back in August for the record, and I think he said he was just going to appoint a graduate student.

Maitri Karia: I'll message you on teams once I have an update on this.

Erick Jacobsen: Are there any other thoughts on whether or not we should? I think what I'm leaning towards is the appoint appoint her chosen representative and elect III. And just true remind you all, we apart from the four that are, well, the two on the agenda and the other two that we've looked at, we will have to elect one first. STF one for UW Rec advisory Board, and then it'd be one for this. So that'd be seven more elections. We've already done 13.. So. We've already done 13. Oh,

actually, we haven't done 13. I think we have only done like 10. So are there any other thoughts on how we should approach this committee? Are we okay with the appointing to thing?

Pierce Wallbaum: I think that's the most procedural, practical efficient. We're already trying to balance agenda time with old business and committees and yeah.

Abigail Appleyard: Did you say it was like in a specific college

Erick Jacobsen: It's unclear I can ask, actually there's more information here. University of Seeking faculty and students to service reviewing officers and student conduct proceedings under chapter 219 governments and policies, academic misconduct and behavioral misconduct. It's UW wide. It's not a specific college.

Maitri Karia: We've appointed one liaison for the Advisory Committee on Student Conduct. Is that the one you're talking about?

Erick Jacobsen: It may be. It may be. I don't think so, but it could be. It's kind of unclear with the information I had.

Maitri Karia: Can you forward me the email, I'll check with Ryan as well.

Erick Jacobsen: Are there any other? I'll hear back from Maitri later and we can move on. Moving on to our second discussion item steering for November 10th. We do not have Senate on November 11th. So what we discussed between myself, Joseph, and Brendan was cancelling November 10th steering unless there was a lot of legislation submitted which then it might be easier to go through it all in an extra meeting but tentatively no steering that day. I see lots of thumbs ups. I'm sure you're all very happy to be here.

Dylan Bianchi: I don't mean to imply that I don't want to come to steering, I just mean to imply I value a free hour and a half.

Erick Jacobsen: Does anyone not value a free hour and a half. Alright that seems pretty straightforward. We're okay meeting in the case we get like 3 or more pieces of legislation lets say. That's under my authority. I just have to do it in a few business days for OPMA we'll see by like Thursday if we get 3 or more which I don't think we will. Then I'll officially give the order. Any last comments on this discussion item I know it's pretty straightforward. Moving back to steering bonding.

Julia Tanner: Alright so yeah, just to update So we weren't able to find a place for to meet in the HUB. Like we weren't able to get a room. So I made the executive decision that we should go to Hansee and do cards there. But I'm sorry for anyone who lives. Does anyone live, like, super far away from north? No?

Dylan Bianchi: It's survivable.

Jothsna Sundar: It'll depend on when it is.

Julia Tanner: So everyone except Tanya is available 6:00 – 8:00 on November 13th so that's the that's the day and I can remind. I can send out a reminder. We don't have to hang out for two hours. It'll be card games and snacks that anyone, like bring your own snacks basically.

Erick Jacobsen: I'd like to clarify it is just snacks that we're bringing like a casserole.

Julia Tanner: It is around like dinner time so if you wanted to bring. Where are we gonna get group sized food.

Erick Jacobsen: Any other thoughts, comments? Anyone have games that they're going to bring? I have cards I'll bring cards. Maybe Uno.

Dylan Bianchi: I have a boardgame enthusiast roommate, I don't know what he'll have but I'll get back to you once I acquire those. They might be the really complex ones.

Julia Tanner: Or Catan I don't think we want to kill each other.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Erick Jacobsen: Moving on to announcements and public comment if anyone has any announcements or any members of the public would like to say anything this can be anything at all that you'd like to announce.

Abigail Appleyard: Like what happens, Okay. I have a class that I have to take next quarter that is exactly during the steering meeting. I can still make Senate, but like, I don't know what to do about that.

Erick Jacobsen: So your vice chair would have to attend, but then you wouldn't be able to be paid for a third of your stipend because you can't make it.

Abigail Appleyard: How does Tanya not come to these meetings?

Erick Jacobsen: Tanya does not and she does not get that part of her stipend. We should appoint proxies preferably the vice chair. If not the vice chair, then someone in their committee, if it can't be, if no one in the committee is available to do it or anything, then someone outside the committee can do it, but we try to limit that as much as physically possible. So I'd talk to your vice chair. See if they're able to make it.

Maitri Karia: Just a reminder my director asked me to tell y'all about the open house on 12 November for the program and if you want any additional marketing material for students to understand it better, just let me know. I have one more deck that they shared. Where should I send that to?

Erick Jacobsen: You can send it to me and I can maybe, you can also put it in the steering chat, but if you want it to be announced to all of Senate tomorrow, then if you send it to me, I can, like put it up on a slide.

Julia Tanner: Can you also send it to me, and I can put it in the I'm gonna send another premedia email tonight?

Maitri Karia: This is for anyone who's interested in marketing you know pursue masters.

Erick Jacobsen: Any other announcements, public comment?

Dylan Bianchi: There's a clothing donation bin in the ASUW office. if you have clothes, you're looking to get rid of, you should consider putting them there, because they'll be put to good use.

Brian Kim: I was gonna say, if you guys want to save time and then it comes to the STF liaison situation, you can consider, having Kira appoint someone. Like I said, something I've done before last year, nobody really to have an issue with it, so it's worth it in having me considering if you guys want to save time. use that time for other more important things.

Joseph Riggio: I just have unrelated announcement. Check out if you know people who haven't voted yet or you yourself is not voted yet, it's okay. King County's posting an area to submit your ballot downstairs, I think it's , I'm pretty sure HUB 125. 145. So, yeah. Go vote. If you haven't already.

Erick Jacobsen: yay voting.

Renee Infelise: Just to go back to the STF thing it also says the speaker is authorized to attend to participate on their behalf.

Erick Jacobsen: I'm not sure I can make it.

Joseph Riggio: I'm going to fix that.

Renee Infelise: Just to have someone there.

Erick Jacobsen: We're trying to change the bylaws so that the speaker or someone else can go in their place.

Pierce Wallbaum: Where do the clothes go for the donation?

Dylan Bianchi: So they'll either be given to an encampment we work with or be sold as part of an event next quarter in conjunction with the students of public health where we sell clothes as a fundraiser and then the money from that will also go to the same encampment.

ADJOURNMENT

Dylan Bianchi moves to adjourn

Pierce Wallbaum seconds

Approved 3-2-0

Adjourned 5:25 pm.

Minutes Prepared by Jothsna Sundar

Clerk for the ASUW Student Senate
